Obtain a Portuguese driving license as a foreigner, without taking a driving license test, exchange your driving license
Who needs a Portuguese driving license?
When driving as a visitor it can be worth purchasing an International Driving Permit, even though it isn’t required in all cases. Obtain a Portuguese driving license
Portugal driving license exchange: for EU licenses
If you move to Portugal and want to continue using your international driving permit, you’ll need to inform the Institute for Mobility and Transport within 30 days of obtaining your residence certificate.
A Portugal driving license exchange for your EU license.
Obtain a Portuguese driving license without a test.
Driving in Portugal
General road rules in Portugal
- The driver and all passengers must wear seatbelts.
- You must carry both parts of your foreign driving license or driving license in Portugal.
- You’ll also need your vehicle registration document, MOT and a certificate of insurance.
- It can be helpful to carry your passport in case you are randomly stopped.
- You should carry a warning triangle and a reflective vest.
- You should give priority to traffic from the right.
- You’re not allowed to use green lanes on motorways unless you have an electronic toll collection device.
- It’s illegal to carry a can of petrol in your car.
When a car flashes its headlights, it means they want the right of way – the opposite of how this works in some other European countries.